Library Assistant / Archives Department
LIBRARY ASSISTANT / ARCHIVES
Willard Library is a public library famous for personal service and treasured special collections. The library opened its doors in 1885 and is the oldest library building in the state of Indiana. Located at the corner of Lloyd Expressway and First Avenue, you cannot miss our gracious Gothic-style building in the middle of a 3.5-acre park.
There is a 20 hour per week part-time position open in the Archives Department. This position includes some evening and weekend hours. The Library Assistant duties include: performing circulation and reference functions related to the operations of the Archives Department; conducting routine circulation tasks, check-in and out, entering patron registrations, updating patron files, updating bibliographic files, and shelving returned material; retaining accurate statistics of circulation transactions; assisting patrons with locating and using library resources and materials; and performing other duties as required and other tasks as necessary.
CRITICAL KNOWLEDGE: Written and Oral Communications, Outstanding Knowledge of Circulation Procedures, Database Searching, Computer Skills (PC Windows- based Software in Local Area Network Environment), Dewey Decimal Filing, Good Rapport with Patron and Colleagues, Ability to Shelve Any Given Library Material, and a Strong Public Service Attitude. Spoken and written English language comprehension at high school level; perform basic Boolean searching; able to arrange Dewey decimal numbers in ascending order and correctly alphabetize; able to consistently follow at least 3 verbal or written instructions without cues or repetition.
Requirements: High school diploma, reliable transportation, and strong customer service skills.
HOW TO APPLY: Please click on About Us on the Home Page menu at www.willard.lib.in.us and then click on Employment. There you will find a complete Job Description and also a link to our Employment Application. Please send the completed application, a resume, and three professional references to the following address:
or mail to:
Attn: Kimberly Higgins
21 N. First Ave.
Evansville, IN 47710
You may also bring your resume and 3 professional references to the front desk on the main floor. If you come in person, please request at the desk a formal application to be completed and attached to your resume or complete and bring the application available by download (below). No phone calls, please.
WILLARD LIBRARY JOB DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: LIBRARY ASSISTANT/ ARCHIVES
REPORTS TO: ARCHIVIST
JOB LOCATION: ARCHIVES READING ROOM
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: High School Diploma
JOB FUNCTION: Performs circulation, reference, interlibrary loan, and technical service functions related to the operations of the Archives Department.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: 100% clerical
- Conducts routine circulation tasks; checking-in and out, entering patron registrations, updating patron files, updating bibliographic files, and shelving returned material.
- Retains accurate statistics of circulation transactions.
- Assists other staff members with complex circulation transactions.
- Conducts troubleshooting of automated circulation system.
II. Patron Service
- Offers assistance to patrons.
- Assists Patrons with locating and using library resources and materials, and requesting interlibrary loan material.
- Provides extensive reference assistance to patrons in person, by telephone, or via email
- Retains accurate statistics of reference transactions.
- Retrieves archival materials when requested.
III. Technical Service
- Processes Archives acquisitions.
- Conducts Archives indexing and organizing
- Produces and distributes Archives Department publications, handouts, fliers and exhibits as directed by the Archivist.
- Updates the Archives Department portion of the Willard Library website as needed.
- Sends copied or scanned archival material to researchers or via interlibrary loan as necessary.
- Participates in the materials selection and de-selection process.
- Answers the departmental telephone in a courteous, professional manner and routes all incoming calls to the appropriate department or individual or takes and relays a message as required and/or requested.
- Assists the Archivist with and attends Archives Department events and programs as necessary.
- Attends workshops, library meetings, and seminars as requested by the Archivist.
- Recommends supply ordering to Archivist.
- Performs other duties as required and other tasks as necessary.
EQUIPMENT: Computer and Peripherals, Telephone, Fax Machine, Photocopier, Microfilm Reader/Printer, Cash Register, and Calculator.
CRITICAL KNOWLEDGE: Written and Oral Communications, Outstanding Knowledge of Circulation Procedures, Database Searching, Computer Skills (PC Windows-based Software in Local Area Network Environment), Dewey Decimal Filing, Good Rapport with Patron and Colleagues, Ability to Shelve Any Given Library Material, and a Strong Public Service Attitude.
- Physical: Able to lift 25 lbs above head with arms fully extended; lift and correctly shelve 100% of Archival materials consistently; able to shelve materials on 0” – 120” high shelving, requiring the ability to bend, squat, reach above head, climb 3’ vertically, and balance on 11” diameter step stool and ladder tread; consistently read 10-point font from 24” away; ability to do any or all of the following as needed for up to 8 hours with no more than two 20 minute resting intervals and one 60 minute resting interval: sitting, standing, walking, using computer keyboard, mouse, and monitor, reading, and writing.
- Mental: Spoken and written English language comprehension at high school level; perform basic Boolean searching; able to arrange dewey decimal numbers in ascending order and correctly alphabetize; able to consistently follow at least 3 verbal or written instructions without cues or repetition.
- Verbal: English language delivery at high school level.
- Written: English language delivery at high school level.
NOTE: This is a 20 hours/week position. This may normally include weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and evenings.