Library Assistant / Adult Services Department
Willard Library is seeking a Part-time Library Assistant in the Adult Services Department. This part time, 20 hour per week position is open until filled. The successful candidate for this position will be part of a team which maintains and preserves the oldest library Building in the State of Indiana, Willard Library.
WILLARD LIBRARY JOB DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: LIBRARY ASSISTANT/ ADULT SERVICES
REPORTS TO: ADULT SERVICES LIBRARIAN
JOB LOCATION: ADULT SERVICES/ FIRST FLOOR
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: High School Diploma
JOB FUNCTION: Performs circulation, reference, interlibrary loan, and technical service functions related to the operations of the Adult Services Department.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: 100% clerical
- Conducts routine circulation tasks; checking-in and out, entering patron registrations, updating patron files, updating bibliographic files, and shelving returned material.
- Retains accurate statistics of circulation transactions.
- Assists other staff members with complex circulation transactions.
- Conducts troubleshooting of automated circulation system.
II. Patron Service
- Offers assistance to patrons.
- Assists Patrons with locating and using library resources and materials, and requesting interlibrary loan material.
- Provides extensive reference assistance to patrons in person, by telephone, or via email
- Retains accurate statistics of reference transactions.
III. Technical Service
- Processes new Adult Services Department acquisitions.
- Conducts Adult Services Department simple material mending.
- Produces and distributes Adult Services Department publications, handouts, and fliers as directed by the Adult Services Librarian.
- Updates the Adult Services Department portion of the Willard Library website as needed.
- Conducts interlibrary loan material notification, shipping, and material retrieval as necessary.
- Participates in the materials selection and de-selection process.
- Answers the telephone in a courteous, professional manner and routes all incoming calls to the appropriate department or individual or takes and relays a message as required and/or requested.
- Assists the Adult Services Librarian with and attends Adult Services Department’s events and programs as necessary.
- Attends workshops, library meetings, and seminars as requested by the Adult Services Librarian.
- Recommends supply ordering to Adult Services Librarian.
- Performs other duties as required and other tasks as necessary.
EQUIPMENT: Computer and Peripherals, Telephone, Fax Machine, Photocopier, Scanner, Microfilm Reader/Printer, Cash Register, and Calculator.
CRITICAL KNOWLEDGE: Written and Oral Communications, Outstanding Knowledge of Circulation Procedures, Database Searching, Computer Skills (PC Windows- based Software in Local Area Network Environment), Dewey Decimal Filing, Good Rapport with Patron and Colleagues, Ability to Shelve Any Given Library Material, and a Strong Public Service Attitude.
- Physical: Able to lift 25 lbs above head with arms fully extended; lift and correctly shelve 100% of Adult Services materials consistently; able to shelve materials on 0” – 90” high shelving, requiring the ability to bend, squat, reach above head, climb 2’ vertically, and balance on 11” diameter step stool; consistently read 10-point font from 24” away; ability to do any or all of the following as needed for up to 8 hours with no more than two 20 minute resting intervals and one 60 minute resting interval: sitting, standing, walking, using computer keyboard, mouse, and monitor, reading, and writing.
- Mental: Spoken and written English language comprehension at high school level; perform basic Boolean searching; able to arrange dewey decimal numbers in ascending order and correctly alphabetize; able to consistently follow at least 3 verbal or written instructions without cues or repetition.
- Verbal: English language delivery at high school level.
- Written: English language delivery at high school level.
NOTE: This is a 20 hours/week position. This may normally include weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and evenings.
How to Apply:
Please complete the application (by downloading application below), provide a resume, and three professional references to the following address:
or mail to:
21 N. First Ave.
Evansville, IN 47710
You may also bring your resume including 3 professional references to the front desk on the main floor. If you come in person, please request at the desk a formal application to be completed and attached to your resume or complete and bring the application available by download (below). No phone calls, please.